Now, what are your childhood memories of breakfast, a rushed bowl of cornflakes or ready brek before school or your parents shouting as you leave the house with a piece of white toast in hand, you haven’t your breakfast! We were always told it was the most important meal of the day as children but it didn’t really sink in until adulthood. Have you ever skipped breakfast and then tried to get on with your working day? Talk about feeling drained, yet if you make sure you get that first meal of the day before you start work you will surely notice the difference.
Breakfast is fast becoming one of the most satisfying mealtimes with so many more options nowadays, especially at the weekend with many of us opting for a Brunch (late breakfast/early lunch all rolled into one). More and more restaurants/cafés are also promoting new breakfast menus but we don’t think you can beat that most important meal of the day served at home where the coffee is always bottomless and you can take as long as you like, well it is the weekend!
Here are our top 5 weekend breakfast treats to enjoy at home… and yes sometimes we have been known to eat all in one sitting making it more of a hotel style breakfast buffet experience in your home.
1 – Classically Simple – Poached Egg & Avocado on Rye bread
- Grill 1 piece of Rye Bread
- Slice 1 ripe Avocado
- Poach 1 Egg
- Season with Black Pepper
2 –A Tasty Treat – French Toast with Cinnamon
- 1 Slice of your choice of Bread
- Whisk 2 Eggs with a splash of Milk
- Add ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Soak bread on both sides into mixture
- Fry in Pan with 1 knob of butter for approx. 2mins on each side
3 – Quick and Wholesome – Home-made Muesli with Yogurt and Dried Fruit
- Muesli mix made at home from porridge oats, hazelnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dried apricots, dates
- Add Natural Yogurt
- Add any fresh fruit of your choice such as bananas, raspberries or blueberries
4 – Something a little different FlakedBreakfast Pancakes
- Whisk 1 egg into 150g of Self raising flour
- Gradually add 2 tbsp. clear honey and 150ml semi skimmed milk to form a batter
- Add 25g sultanas and 50g bran flakes
- Heat a little oil in pan and add 4 tbsp. of mixture
- Cook for1-2 mins on each side
- Drizzle honey and serve with fresh fruit
5 – Local Deliciousness – Staffordshire Oatcakes with Scrambled Eggs and Bacon
- OK, so we cheat here as born and bred in Staffordshire buy ours from Stoke on Trent!
- Grill Bacon
- Grate Cheese onto Oatcake and Grill
- Add Bacon and fold Cake around Bacon